What to do in Santiago de Compostela when you finish your Camino de Santiago (resumed version)
- Walk along the 4 main streets of the Historical Center: Franco, Vilar, Nova and Orfas (continuing by Calderería and Preguntoiro).
- Franco and Raiña, are well known for their restaurants as well as their “tapas”.
- If it´s rainning walk under the arches of the streets Vilar and Nova, they will lead you to the Cathedral.
- If you continue the streets Orfas, Calderería and Preguntoiro they will take you to Cervantes Square.
- Mass at the Cathedral is at 12.00 am but the “Botafumeiro” thurible doesn´t always fly at this time. If it is Friday you are lucky, you can see it at the 19:30 pm mass. This 2016 is Jubilee year. You should enter the cathedral from Quintana Square. It´s open from 07:00 am until 20:30 pm
- Guided tours of the historical center at 12:00 am from Platerías Square (12€) and a visit to the roof tops and the cathedral´s museum (12€) from Obradoiro Square are two of the most interesting tours.
- Did you know that the market “Mercado de Abastos” is the second most visited place in Santiago after the Cathedral? The best days to visit it are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. There´s a restaurant there too that cooks what you buy at the market…and also “pulpeiros”!! (they cook octopus). It´s also a good area for “tapas”.
- If you wish to get the best views of the Cathedral and the Historical Center you should take a walk to the Alameda and to the Bonaval Park.